Site Overlay

Accreditation of a third language to access the university

Did you know that those who start a university degree must accredit level B2 of a third language when they finish their studies? That’s right, if you want to obtain a university degree in Catalonia, you must prove your knowledge of English, French, German or Italian.

In addition, some university degrees require accreditation of a certain level of English to access, such as degrees in philology, applied languages, translation and interpretation, or the degree in international business, among others.

The same happens with university masters. Depending on which master you want to do, you will be asked for a B1 or B2 level of English. If you still don’t have your language certificate, you can take one of our language courses or official exams.

How can you prove the level of the third language?

  • With an accrediting certificate of language knowledge that is recognized as equivalent to the Common European Framework of Reference. You can consult here and here the table of certificates and diplomas that certify knowledge of a third language of the Generalitat de Catalunya, according to the European Framework of Reference for Languages ​​(MERC) of the Council of Europe.
  • If you have studied high school abroad, you must present a certificate of studies indicating the vehicular language in which you studied. This language must be English, German, French or Italian in a minimum proportion of 50%.
  • In some cases, you can prepare and defend the final degree project in English.
  • Another option, which is not valid in all universities, is to have obtained 9 ECTS corresponding to subjects taught entirely in a third language or by completing a mobility program that involves the use of English, German, French or Italian.

From TAU we recommend that all our students look at the university where they intend to study the degree, and check what accreditation they are going to ask for, since, in some universities, they ask for the certificates at the time you formalize the enrollment.

We should not forget that before presenting the certificates, it is better to make sure that they are not more than 2 years old, since there are universities that do not accept degrees from more than two years ago.

Although certificates do not expire, knowledge does, so the entities that collect these titles are the ones that decide whether to accept them or not, depending on the date that certificate was issued.

Accreditation of a third foreign language by universities in Catalonia

Universitat Oberta de Catalunya
Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
Universitat de Barcelona
Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
Universitat Pompeu Fabra
Universitat de Lleida
Universitat Rovira i Virgili
Universitat de Girona

Niveles de inglés Europa
Scroll Up Scroll Up